I is gonna be a personal shopper
Jul. 2nd, 2026 04:25 pmElaine wore a blouse that I gave her a few weeks ago and I gave her tons of compliments on it today. I purchased the top on ThredUP and although I loved the color and pattern, I didn't like the fabric (too polyester-y but that's Elaine's thing) and I offered it to her a while ago since I genuinely thought it would look nice on her. It really really does.
Elaine's one of those gals that didn't grow up fat and so she has been in denial for years after pregnancy weight gain and now post-cancer weight gain about the fact that she needs to wear bigger clothing. As such, her tummy would show between her blouse and pants because she'd have to pull her pants under her belly for comfort. I've been encouraging, letting her know that it's absolutely fine to get plus size clothing and that when things that fit better and feel more comfortable it improves the confidence rather than continuing to try to live in the past.
Also, going to be honest, although I'm no fashion diva, the girl has totally no sense of style and wears entirely too much fugly brown shades that completely wash her out (no, I didn't tell her that). I made her pose for me so I could send it to Emily since she's going to let us do some thrifting for her. She had a friend that used to shop for her that hasn't in a while. Oh honey, we gonna show you that color is NOT something to be afraid of.

Doesn't she look adorbs?
I'd love to persuade her to wear a dress but she said she HATES her legs and can't wear them. One issue at at time. I found several similar styles of blouses on ThredUp this afternoon and spent a whopping $50 on all five (all mentioning that they were in "excellent" condition). Trying to shop for her beloved work pants made my eyes glaze over so we'll work on more exciting pants some other time. I told her that if there's anything that she tries on that she dislikes is fine, that I'll just resell it on Mercari (oh, yeah, started doing that side gig).
Elaine's one of those gals that didn't grow up fat and so she has been in denial for years after pregnancy weight gain and now post-cancer weight gain about the fact that she needs to wear bigger clothing. As such, her tummy would show between her blouse and pants because she'd have to pull her pants under her belly for comfort. I've been encouraging, letting her know that it's absolutely fine to get plus size clothing and that when things that fit better and feel more comfortable it improves the confidence rather than continuing to try to live in the past.
Also, going to be honest, although I'm no fashion diva, the girl has totally no sense of style and wears entirely too much fugly brown shades that completely wash her out (no, I didn't tell her that). I made her pose for me so I could send it to Emily since she's going to let us do some thrifting for her. She had a friend that used to shop for her that hasn't in a while. Oh honey, we gonna show you that color is NOT something to be afraid of.

Doesn't she look adorbs?
I'd love to persuade her to wear a dress but she said she HATES her legs and can't wear them. One issue at at time. I found several similar styles of blouses on ThredUp this afternoon and spent a whopping $50 on all five (all mentioning that they were in "excellent" condition). Trying to shop for her beloved work pants made my eyes glaze over so we'll work on more exciting pants some other time. I told her that if there's anything that she tries on that she dislikes is fine, that I'll just resell it on Mercari (oh, yeah, started doing that side gig).
no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 09:28 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 09:53 pm (UTC)Isn't it a pretty top? I'm glad that even though I couldn't wear it that it looks so very nice on her. She's excited to try the five tops I ordered
no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 10:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 10:42 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 11:33 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-02 11:43 pm (UTC)https://www.mercari.com/u/dinesue/
Someone that's selling $3 bits of clothing has FAR more time on their hands than I do
no subject
Date: 2026-07-03 11:09 pm (UTC)Def not your target audience - if I'm going to buy used clothing online, where I can't try it on or return it - it has to be a screaming deal and super cheap :D
no subject
Date: 2026-07-03 07:17 pm (UTC)I vote for long flowy dresses - they can be so cool in summer, and she can hide her legs.